Ich bin ein Berliner

When President John F. Kennedy came to Berlin on June 26th, 1963, he said these words to the suffering people of Berlin, raising their spirits and providing hope for the future. Kennedy's quote, "Ich bin ein Berliner," translates to "I am a Berliner," something that resonated with the Berlin population and inspired solidarity not only across Berlin, but across the world.

Having been here in Berlin for about 1 week now, I see that these words could not be more accurate. The people of Berlin are some of the most accepting and progressive people I have ever met. Everyone is a Berliner, no matter where you came from. I have met people from Barcelona, Turkey, Canada, London, and even Australia, and they all identify as a Berliner.

Though a friendly smile would be considered an ideal greeting back home, a smile towards a stranger here would not be returned. The German people seem to be very accepting and open, but smiling at strangers might get you a 'crazy' label. That has definitely been something I need to get used to. Thankfully, most people speak English, which makes our travels very easy and efficient.

The prodigious amount of history all around us here is amazing. I can walk down the street and see small gold tiles commemorating the lost Jews of the Holocaust, a sobering realization to say the least. I can walk across a half-full parking lot and not realize that Hitler's bunker existed just below my feet.

Through this blog, I hope to show you the magic of this edgy, progressive, and historic city. The more time I spend here, the more I feel like I can say, "Ich bin ein Berliner."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The People of Berlin

Lebensmittel (Meals)